Emergency Management of Severe Burns Course (EMSB)
Prior to the EBA Congress in Nantes, France, an Emergency Management of Severe Burns Course (EMSB) course will be organised on Tuesday 5 September 2023.
The EMSB course is for physicians, nurses, paramedics and other health professionals who may need to provide emergency care to patients with an acute severe burn injury.
Resuscitation and stabilisation of patients with severe burns is of the utmost importance for the final outcome of treatment. The Emergency Management of Severe Burns course (EMSB) provides instruction on the assessment, stabilisation and transfer severely burned patients during the first 24 hours.
This will be the fifth time that such an intensive course is held and organised by the European Burns Association and supported by the local organising committee EBA2023 and Congress Care.
The EMSB course is originally developed in Australia and has been successfully taught to several countries world-wide. The course has been given to medical and nursing professionals in the Netherlands and UK for more than 15 years. The EMSB staff now presents the course to the other European countries and hopes this will have a catalysing effect on disseminating the concept of the EMSB and to improve care for severely burned patients in Europe.
The course is an intensive one-day training and will be held in English. The instructors have both extensive clinical as well as teaching experience in the field of burns and emergency care.
Outline of the course:
- A reference manual outlining all aspects of the emergency management of burns is sent to the participants prior to the course
- There is a series of brief lectures highlighting important aspects of the aetiology, pathophysiology, emergency examination and treatment of the patient
- Relevant clinical skills are demonstrated and important topics are explained in group discussions
- Life-like case simulations in hands-on workshops are used to consolidate and integrate the course material
- The course concludes with an assessment and a written examination.
- Burn Pathophysiology
- Burn Size and Depth
- Emergency Examination and Treatment
Late Morning: (small group sessions)
- Burn Area and Fluid Management
- Referral and Transfer
- Burn Depth and Wound Management
- Airway Management and Inhalation Injury
Afternoon: (small group sessions)
- Paediatric burns
- Chemical burns
- Electrical Burns
- E.M.S.B. approach to assessment
- Exam (written), plus simulated burns cases (practice plus assessment)
The instructors for this course are highly experienced burn and plastic surgeons, anaesthetists, intensivists and nurses from burn centres across Europe.
Registration and costs
Registration for this course is limited to 25 participants.
Included in the fee: course manual, certificate, lunch and refreshments.
Registration fee: EUR 595
You can register for this course upon your registration for EBA2023. This course can also be attended without participation in the EBA congress!